Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!



John David and I made valentine cards for his little friends at school (Mother's Morning Out) and he was so proud of them! Just like all of the other holidays, he has loved learning about Valentine's Day. He squeals with delight every time he looks at the valentines he received from his friends and grandparents. And we must've read "Biscuit's Valentine's Day" a hundred times. It's a book he received last year from Nana (John's step-mom, Jackie) and while he enjoyed turning the pages last year when I read it to him, he has loved it this year, being able to ask what everything is on the pages and pointing out the cat, the dog, the girl's hat, her coat, etc. He is such an observant little boy.

John was at home last night with John David while I went to my "Ladies' Night Out" group. I left the art supplies John David and I had used for his Valentines on the table and when I woke up this morning, John suprised me with the cutest little hand-made valentine card that he had made for me. It was precious and I was really impressed with his creativity. Earlier this afternoon I was working on this post and the doorbell rang...it was the UPS man with a package for me. It was a PajamaGram from John! I just love the idea and it came in the cutest package.



I'm really not a huge fan of Valentine's Day because of all the commercial hype and social pressure put on people, making them feel out of place if they don't have someone with whom they can spend Valentine's Day. We should be telling people we care about how much we love/care for them every other day of the year and not just on a day that has been determined by someone else as THE day to do that. If you don't have a honey to share Valentine's Day with then I hope you celebrated yourself today. YOU are a special person with or without a partner, made unique by your creator just to be YOU. Psalms 139:13-14 says "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." God's works are wonderful and you are one of His wonderful works. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: